As a volunteer-based organization, our amazing volunteers are our backbone and the heart of our organization.
Come be a part of a fun, energetic team with a love for German Shepherds and large paw dogs.
Volunteers can be 14 years old and up (under 18 must have Parental Approval), knowledgeable about dogs and German Shepherds, with a desire to find these loving dogs their perfect forever homes!
Below are some of the areas you can help. Have any special talents that aren’t listed? Just let us know and we will find a way to use them!
Application Reference Checks
It all starts with an application
- All applicants are required to submit 2 personal references and veterinary references
- Volunteers perform the reference verification by reaching out to the references, obtaining relevant information about the applicant and any current animals in their care.
- After verification is complete, the volunteer submits their notes to the board for review.
Support for special events promoting SDC and our dogs
- As a growing organization, we are holding event in the Houston, Beaumont, and New Orleans areas.
- Event volunteers help organize and lead our events helping to ensure we have our fosters and even some of our alumni present.
- Event volunteers attend the events and help to promote our rescue and our dogs to the community.
Can one of our foster pups hitch a ride with you
- We are always looking for volunteers to help our dogs in foster or boarding get to meet and greets, events, or veterinary appointments.
- Don’t mind driving further distances? Consider volunteering to help drive a leg on our longer distance transports.
We can’t do what we do without donations!
- Help develop and lead fundraising initiatives.
- Seek out donors and sponsorships with local businesses.
- Seek out donations for fundraising activities such as raffles, waffles, and auctions.
- Potential opportunities for grant writing.
Do you have time to help our pups in boarding?
- We are always looking for volunteers to help our dogs in boarding work on socialization skills by taking time out to go and spend time with them. Taking them out their kennels for walks and baths.
- Volunteers also help our dogs in boarding reinforce any needed basic obedience and manners they are working on.
Temporary/ Holiday Foster
Can’t take in a temporary foster? What about just on a temporary basis?
- There are times that our amazing fosters need to go on vacation/holiday travel. Temporary fosters foster just while the full time foster is out of town.
- Our temporary fosters help to keep us from having to put a dog in boarding.